The African Youth with Disabilities Network (AYWDN) adopts as its core values and promotes the general principles stated in Article 3 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
UN CRPD Article 3 – General Principles:
- Respect for inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices, and independence of persons;
- Full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
- Respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
- Equality of opportunity;
- Equality between men and women;
- Respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.
AYWDN in addition adopts the following values:
- Accountability and Transparency;
- Child Protection;
- Effective Management of Resources;
- High Ethical Standards;
- Team Work.